Learn how to build and manage a website using the robust tools and options provided by the WordPress content management system. All participants will leave the course with a fully-functional website and the skills to maintain and expand it.
This four-session course is a hands-on approach to learning the content management system. Each three-hour session will balance time for presentation and explanation of the tools while allowing students time to experiment and ask questions as they arise. Ongoing support through email and phone contact for the duration of the course will allow students to overcome any stumbling blocks as they work at home.
This course is geared toward:
- Small business owners needing to develop and maintain their own site
- Marketing managers needing to contribute to and maintain a company blog site in WordPress
- Individuals looking to expand their knowledge and skill set with a content management system
NOTE: This class will focus on using WordPress to run your website, specifically using server installations of WordPress on your own domain name (as opposed to sites hosted at WordPress.com). Although much of the interface and best practices apply to both, WordPress.com limits customization to the free sites hosted there. Not included in the course price is the purchase of a domain and hosting – approximately NIS 240 for one year. Participants who do not have a current site are welcome to experiment on mock sites developed during class – all content will be available for export at the end of the course.
- 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 24 and 31 and Nov. 7 and 14 in Jerusalem
- 9 a.m. to noon Oct. 26 and Nov. 2, 9 and 16 in the Tel Aviv area
- NIS 1500 plus VAT for the full course – includes access to a premium theme and premium plugins for business lead generation
- NIS 1275 plus VAT early bird registration – early bird registration must be received and paid in full by Oct. 10
- Classes are taught in English
- Participants are encouraged to bring a laptop, but computers are available for use
- You will receive a receipt (cheshbonit mas)
- A look at WordPress 3.2 – a brief glimpse at a very powerful tool
- Getting to know the WordPress dashboard
- Content management system basics
- Creating pages and navigation best practices
- Adding rich media – photos, audio, video and downloadable documents
- Lead generation – using forms to capture user information
- Creating blog posts
- Using categories to organize your content
- Comment moderation in WordPress
- Finding a theme to fit your needs
- Customizing your theme to reflect your branding
- Plugins: Expanding the functionality of WordPress
- Security: What everyone needs to know
- RSS: Syndicating your content
- Connecting your site to social media
- Search engine optimization for WordPress
- Troubleshooting common issues
- Tips and tricks to take your site from good to great
Classes are taught by Kelli Brown, the CEO and lead consultant at Pixel/Point Press.